Grazing Fields on Wicwas have disappeared since logging ceased in the 1950s
Lake Wicwas, Meredith Center, New Hampshire
"Pucky-Pooch" skidding logs at Wicwas Lake for the J. F. Smith Lumber Co. on the Chemung side looking toward what is now the Wicwood Shores Development and the Hamlin Area, circa 1940 (Dean Dexter collection). Below, celebrated Boston boxer Sam Langford as a young man prepared for the ring by working in Smith lumber camps.
Sam Langford vs Jim Flynn - 1910Video Restoration
Sheep Island pictured from the Smith pasture in front of Wicwas Lodge, by Meredith Center Road, March 1949. The sugar house is to the far right, outside of camera range. The frozen-over beach at Smith Landing is left of center, front. As of this posting, Sheep Island, the open field by the lake and upper pasture land is fully overgrown with timber and brush, with the lake nearly invisible from this camera angle (see transition below).
Kodackchromes by Norman M. Dexter
Sheep Island from Meredith Center Road, 1951 and 2006
Return to New Hampshire
New Hampshire Commentary
P.O. Box 706
Concord, NH 03302